Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Thanksgiving

My wife, Polly, is an outstanding southern cook and she really shines during the holidays.  Tomorrow we're going to travel to see a relative with a new baby, but Thanksgivings when we stay home, her menu looks like this.

Tossed salad of spinach, sliced almonds, craisins, with buttermilk dressing
Kentucky ham made with brown sugar and pineapple (no one in our family likes turkey)
Cornbread dressing
Corn pudding
Cheese pudding (casserole)
Cranberry with cream cheese
Broccoli casserole
Sweet potato casserole
Dressed (deviled) eggs
Rolls
Pumpkin cheesecake
Coconut pie
Pecan pie
Red wine
White wine
Coffee

Polly is taking several of these dishes to the relatives' house, and she will make most of them for Christmas dinner.  I love the holidays.

2 comments:

  1. I made a ham for Thanksgiving one year and my family thought I was nuts - until they tasted the ham which was way better than any turkey I've ever made. But this year we finally had a good turkey. A friend of mine broke it down into pieces so it cooked in only 1-1/2 hours and wasn't dried out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was a kid my mother made a turkey every Thanksgiving baked with the stuffing inside. Never liked the turkey, but loved the stuffing. Later learned this was dangerous. A relative makes deep fried turkey. I don't even like that.

      Delete