Saturday, August 24, 2013

Thankful

I went back to Frankfort Wednesday and Thursday of last week.  Had meetings at KHC Wednesday, stayed overnight, then attended a meeting of the state Behavioral Health Planning and Advisory Council on Thursday.  The BHPAC is made up of representatives of state agencies, including me, along with individuals with severe mental illness, individuals in recovery from substance addiction, and parents of children with these issues.  From time to time members tell their stories, and the tragedies that most have endured leave me in awe at the resiliency of humankind.   The trials that so many have experienced themselves are bad enough, but even sadder are the stories of the loss of children to overdoses and suicide. 

The other statewide council I serve on, the Supported Living Council, administers funds that assist people with severe physical and mental disabilities, frequently to make accessibility renovations to their homes.  So the makeup of the membership reflects those populations, either affected individuals themselves or family members, along with staff of state agencies.  The chairman of the Supported Living Council is a guy I've known for many years.   He is a quadriplegic, having severed his spinal cord in a diving mishap when he was a teenager.  He drives a specially equipped van and uses a powered wheelchair.  Along with his service on the Supported Living Council, he serves on many other state councils, boards and committees relating to accessibility and fair housing.  He is also married, works full time, and enjoys attending University of Kentucky football and basketball games.  He has UK basketball season tickets which are extremely difficult to obtain, and has been nice enough in the past to let me purchase tickets to single games.

I look at him and all the others I've met through my work and volunteer activities and I feel thankful for the abilities my stroke left me with.  Thankful that my cognitive functioning was left intact.  Thankful that I can drive. Thankful that the work I do doesn't require  physical labor.  Thankful that my speech was unaffected.  Thankful that the agency I work for still values my contributions.    Thankful that my family is still whole.  Thankful that I am able to feel thankful.








No comments:

Post a Comment