Saturday, April 20, 2013

About me

Yep, it's another blog by a stroke survivor.  I'm 61 now, had my stroke in October 2011.  It was an intracerebral hemorrhage, a deadly kind of stroke I found out later.  Of course I didn't know that at the time.  If I had known, I would have been more worried about what was happening to me.  The hemorrhage occurred on the right side of my brain at about the boundary of the parietal and frontal lobes.  That's only my estimation, because all the neurologist told me about the stroke's location was to touch my head at a point about halfway between my right ear and the top of my head.  He wasn't very communicative.  A common complaint about neurologists I've come to find out. 

I got lucky in the size (the size of a cottonball the emergency room doctor told my wife) and location of the hemorrhage.  I say that because I experienced very little resultant cognitive or physical impairment compared to most other stroke survivors.  It hasn't been a total bed of roses since that day, but I recovered enough that I was able to go back to work part-time after three months and full time after six months.  Again, I was lucky in that I worked for a state agency that was very accommodating to my needs.  I'm lucky, too, that I have a wife who is loving and compassionate and children who take after her.  I reckon I'm one of the luckiest stroke survivors around.  And I try not to take that for granted.

So, that's the reason for the name of the blog.  I will write about working after having a stroke.  I will write about not being able to devote full time to recovery, but rather fitting recovery in when I can find the time and energy after being an employee, being a husband, and being a father.  It's a busy and stressful life I lead, but also full and rewarding.  I hope others will find my experiences worthy of reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment